As most of you all know, Kenneth has had a blocked tear duct since birth, and no matter how many hot wash cloths or rubbing he endured, it decided to stay blocked. So at his nine-month appt, we decided surgery would be the option to fix it. We went to two opthamologists and it was agreed he would had a small "surgical" procedure done to insert a probe (tiny tube) into his left eye which would allow extra fluid to drain down his nasolacrimal duct. I was told the procedure takes about 15 minutes, and that it was really easy. So his surgery (I use the term surgery lightly, because how can a 15 minute procedure where they don't even "cut" anything, be called surgery) was scheduled for Wednesday, September 7th. I woke KB up that morning and we got all prepped and ready to go, he was a trooper. We may've done a little photoshoot while waiting for his turn and the doctor to show up. Here he is all ready to go.
Kenneth did amazing after surgery! He cried (like they said he would) after the anesthesia wore off, but was totally fine as soon as we got home. He's such a little trooper!
I didn't realize we would be able to see the probe, but apparently we were, it's right "there" in the corner of his left eye.
I didn't realize we would be able to see the probe, but apparently we were, it's right "there" in the corner of his left eye. So, we were told on Wednesday, September 14th by his opthamologist that the probe would be in for 3 months and was scheduled to be taken out on December 14th, however apparently our little man had other plans for us.....
Last night after putting the kids to bed, KB woke up crying at about 9:30pm, Jon went in to check on him and decided he must've been cold and put his blankets back on him. He fell back asleep, but about 15 minutes later, he woke up crying again. At this point, I just told Jon to bring him to me and I would hold him. As Jon walks into our room he says "I think Kenneth pulled his probe out...." Huh, wait, what? We turn on the lights and sure enough, our sweet son had rubbed his eye hard enough that he had pulled part of the probe out...oh my gosh! Neither Jon or I know what to do, Kenneth is screaming and I am freaking out a little.
Last night after putting the kids to bed, KB woke up crying at about 9:30pm, Jon went in to check on him and decided he must've been cold and put his blankets back on him. He fell back asleep, but about 15 minutes later, he woke up crying again. At this point, I just told Jon to bring him to me and I would hold him. As Jon walks into our room he says "I think Kenneth pulled his probe out...." Huh, wait, what? We turn on the lights and sure enough, our sweet son had rubbed his eye hard enough that he had pulled part of the probe out...oh my gosh! Neither Jon or I know what to do, Kenneth is screaming and I am freaking out a little.
Fast forward...a couple emergency doctor phone calls later, we are told we need to cut it and pull it out...I.w.a.s. s.h.a.k.i.n.g...the doctor wanted us to do what?
Restain a crying infant, stick some sort of cutting utensil to his eye, cut a tiny tube, and yank it out of his eye..."oh yeah this happens (says the doctor), it's not a big deal."
So carefully, I hold Kenneth still and we use tweezers to pull the probe out more (who would feel comfortable sticking something sharp that close someone's eye), just enough for Jon to be able to clip the tube and with one clean swipe, he yanks it out. After a quick cry, Kenneth is back to his happy self and ready to play.
Restain a crying infant, stick some sort of cutting utensil to his eye, cut a tiny tube, and yank it out of his eye..."oh yeah this happens (says the doctor), it's not a big deal."
So carefully, I hold Kenneth still and we use tweezers to pull the probe out more (who would feel comfortable sticking something sharp that close someone's eye), just enough for Jon to be able to clip the tube and with one clean swipe, he yanks it out. After a quick cry, Kenneth is back to his happy self and ready to play.
Below is what was in his eye
And now after nearly a $1,700.00 surgical procedure, here's to hoping his eye magically corrected itself in 8 days instead of the full 90......(only time will tell)
ugg! How tramatic! I hope his eye heals quickly too so you don't have to go through that again. Sorry :(
ReplyDeleteOh margaret I'm sorry you, Jon, and Kenneth had to go through that!! But thank goodness for modern medicine and doctors...hopefully it's like you said, an 8-day miracle :) prayer for you guys and your cute little man's eye!
ReplyDeleteHes so adorable. Im glad he was okay!
ReplyDelete